1. Monitor Beaufort School District Board Meetings to gain a better understanding of local concerns.
2. Monitor the school budget process and its relationship to County Council decisions.
3. Investigate the possibility and advisability of changing the requirement for collecting signatures for school board candidates.
4. Increase knowledge base about state funding and the needed response for poor rural districts.
5. Maintain and strengthen relations with local legislative delegation to assure their support for Act 388 changes and other state funding issues.
1. Support the preservation and protection of wetlands, area beaches and local waterways, including but not limited to Calibogue Sound, the May River, the Colleton River and the Okatie River.
2. Support the conservation and preservation of available drinking water and monitor availability of sewer service.
3. Support the preservation of sensitive and historic land areas and tree cover.
4. Develop Off-Shore Drilling position in concert with other South Carolina Leagues.
5. Monitor the expenditures and purposes of land purchases with public funds approved by the voters by referendum,
6. Monitor decision making process of Planning Commissions, and Town and County Councils on land use issues.
7. Monitor Comprehensive Plan Reviews.
STATE AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT
1. Provide Voter Information, Candidate Forums, Voter Registration Opportunities
2. Advocate for transparency in local government decisions.
3. Protect Home Rule for local governments
4. Maintain relationship with Beaufort County Board of Registration and Elections to assure voter access and accountability
5. Support LWVSC initiatives to assure open and thorough study, evaluation and selection of new voting machines.
STATE AND LOCAL TAXATION
1. Monitor and provide information on state and local taxation recommendations with special attention to concerns for natural resources, infrastructure and education.
2. Monitor Tax Increment Financing (TIF) revenue and use (the newly extended TIF, Town of Hilton Head Island.
3. Monitor use of revenue from the recent Rural and Critical Lands Referendum (note #5, Natural Resources)
4. Support comprehensive tax reform for SC; monitor local revenue and taxation. (Note Education #5)
1.Investigate Accommodation Tax (A-Tax) as an appropriate source of funding for public transportation.
To see LWVHHI/BA's 2016-2017 Focus for Action," please refer to the Action and Advocacy Section of this website.